23 April 2008

Elixir du jour

Too many good meals can add pounds and inches or should I say kilos and centimeters? which is twice as bad! To counteract this, especially approaching the summer (at least we hope it will eventually come, after 3"of snow last Saturday I start having doubts) a light meal is always a safe option. And what can be more satisfying than a home made vegetable soup. I have seen my Mom and Grand Mother make this recipe many a time and have adopted it myself as it is so easy to make and so tasty.

Vegetable Soup
Ingredients
2 medium size potatoes
2 or 3 leeks
6 good size carrots
1 big onion
3 or 4 garlic cloves
Salt and Pepper

Method
Peel and clean all vegetables and chop them.
Sweat the vegetables in a bit of olive oil in a cast iron pot or other on high heat, then cover totally with water and more, salt and pepper to taste, keep in mind that it's always easier to add seasoning later, I also add celery seeds that give a nice taste.
Cover and let it simmer for at least one hour.
I like my soup without chunks so I always blend it.
Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream or pour some milk and grate some Swiss Emmentaler on top and a slice of home made bread.
Bon appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment